Loquat is a large evergreen shrub or small fruit tree. It has a rounded crown and short trunk. Native to China it commercially grown for the yellow fruit and also as an ornamental. It is also known as Japanese plum or Chinese plum.
- Loquat is used to soothe the throat and respiratory tract.
- As a demulcent and expectorant it will help break up mucus and increase recovery time from coughs and colds.
- It is also helpful with the digestion system.
- The leaves are used in tea to treat inflammatory skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
- Loquat can also have a sedative effect and be calming to the nervous system.
- The loquat is low in saturated fat and sodium, and is high in vitamin A, dietary fiber, potassium, and manganese.