Mamaki, Pipturus albidus
Mamaki grows as a shrub or a small tree up to 18 feet tall. It is native to all the main Hawaiian islands except Kahoolawe and Niihau. It is in the same family as Stinging Nettles, Urticaceae, and exemplifies many of the same nutritive qualities, yet gentler in nature.
Hawaiians have used Mamaki for its healing benefits for centuries. It is a sacred herb, revered for its tonic ability to cure all general debilities. It is soothing, nourishing and fortifying in nature, helping support the body in overall health. Mamaki strengthens the muscles, tissues and blood and is toning and moisturizing for the skin. It has been used for digestive disorders and can help heal ulcers. Mamaki helps relax the body, while simultaneously supporting the healthy functioning of all systems.
- Soothes the nervous system
- Blood building
- Supports a woman’s body during childbirth
- Reduces cholesterol
- Lowers blood pressure
- Modulates blood sugar levels
- Relieves digestive disorders
- Contains high amounts of iron, calcium, and magnesium
- Contains vitamins phosphorus, boron, manganese, zinc, copper, and potassium